Chapter 86: Was It Me—or What I Could Offer?
A Quiet Realisation
Sometimes, disappointment does not come from one big moment. It builds slowly through small interactions that seem harmless at first.
I have always been someone who helps when I can. If I know someone who might be able to assist, I make an introduction. If I come across something useful, I share it. I do these things naturally, without keeping score or expecting anything in return.
For a while, I believed that willingness was appreciated.
Lately, however, I have found myself questioning whether there is a difference between being appreciated and simply being convenient. It is a difficult thought to sit with, especially when your intentions have always been sincere.
Perhaps nobody meant any harm. People sometimes become focused on what they are trying to build and may not realise how their actions appear to others. What feels practical to one person can feel rather one-sided to another.
That does not necessarily make either person wrong, but it can reveal an imbalance.
I am beginning to understand that being needed is not always the same as being valued. Sometimes, people remember what you can provide more readily than they remember how their actions have made you feel.
Maybe I allowed too much because I wanted to be supportive. Maybe I should have noticed sooner when the effort did not feel equally returned. Still, I do not regret helping. My sincerity belongs to me, regardless of how somebody else may have received it.
The lesson is not to become colder. It is to become more careful.
I can remain generous without making myself constantly available. I can support others without feeling responsible for helping them move forward. Most importantly, I can step back from situations that leave me questioning my place.
Not every disappointment requires a confrontation. Sometimes, it simply requires a boundary.
There is peace in noticing what no longer feels right and quietly choosing not to participate in the same way anymore.
No anger. No explanation. No dramatic ending.
Just a little more awareness—and a little less access.
ps; I'm done being nice.